Friday, July 30, 2010

Some Unknown Facts about Coconut Water

For those of you who do not know me, I love being healthy. Okay, in total honesty, I am a huge health nut! To me, being "healthy" is finding a balance between staying fit, having a balanced diet, and finding things or hobbies that are enjoyable and make you happy. For me, I enjoy high intensity workouts and supplement them with sports, like tennis and golf. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong. You have to find what works for you. Or what makes you want to go back for more!  I also love researching new trends, surveying the shelves at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and testing recipes for new ways to create a great tasting but nutritious masterpiece of a meal.
Over the past year I have added coconut water into my daily routine. I have seen a huge difference in my complexsion, energy, and getting rid of that craving for sweets. I really think that the stuff is amazing. A lot of people complain about the taste, but I actually look forward to it now. If I have an urge to open the fridge and snack, I just take a sip of the coconut water, shut the door, and then I can walk away without needing anything. It really is amazing stuff.

My usual brand of choice is Zico.  It would come in a non-plastic container and the only ingredient listed was "pure brazilian coconuts". So simple and yet so many health benefits.  I would pick it up at my local grocery store, which was very convientent.
About a month ago,  I was grocery shopping like usual, and I went down the health food isle to grab my Zico coconut water, and to my surprise it had been replaced! The brand name was the same, but now it was in a plastic container, and the ingredients said "coconut water and plant extract". The calorie content was higher as well as the sugar. I stood in the isle for a moment in bewilderment. What was this plant extract? What were they adding to my coconut water? Why is the container plastic? I needed answers before I was about to put this new beverage in my body.
As soon as I got home from the store, I ran to my computer and looked up contact information for Zico.  After searching for thirty-five minutes, I found an email for customer assistance.  So that night,  I wrote an email asking to please let me know if the plastic was safe, where this new product was coming from, and what was in this, so-called, plant extract.
I checked my email for a response daily and after one week there was still nothing. I was starting to go through withdrawal from my coconut water. So I decided to take a drive to Whole Foods and see what other brands it offered and if maybe it had my original Zico that I loved.
It was not their! It had been replaced with the new version, by Zico, as well. Whole Foods did have a variety of different brands of coconut water. However, I learned my lesson, that you must be careful and read all the ingredients. So many of these brands are trying to pose as "pure coconut water". Instead, they are mixed with other fruits, high in sugar and carbohydrates, and pretty much a non nutritious fruit drink. Naked, seemed to be the only brand I could find that was 100% Brazilian Coconut water. So, I bought enough to get me through the week. I was not going to go through another coconut water  drought!
When I got home from the store, I checked my email again, but this time I had a response. Everything around me disappeared as I became completely engaged in Zico's reply. They assured me that the plastic was BPA free and they used high quality plastics to make the bottle. However, the most interesting part was about the plant extract.  They could not tell me what was in the extract because that would be giving away their secret. What they could tell me was that the coconuts where now coming from Asia, as well as the extract. They could not disclose what countries in Asia.

I am sorry  but this is a huge red flag. Could this extract be coming from the same country that had all the problems with infant formula?  Personally, I do not trust China and many of the other countries,in Asia,  that use cheap labor and poor ingredients. I was totally appalled and wanted to share this with others. Taking pride in what you put into your body is very important.  Many of these companies deceive consumers that are busy with life and have trust that the companies are following through with their claims.

Needless to say, I have switched to Naked Coconut Water!

Here are the reasons why I drink it:

Coconut water contains organic compounds possessing healthy growth promoting properties that have been known to help
  1. Keep the body cool and at the proper temperature.
  2. Orally re-hydrate your body, it is an all natural isotonic beverage.
  3. Carry nutrients and oxygen to cells.
  4. Naturally replenish your body's fluids after exercising.
  5. Raise your metabolism.
  6. Promote weight loss.
  7. Boost your immune system.
  8. Detoxify and fight viruses.
  9. Cleanse your digestive tract.
  10. Control diabetes.
  11. Aid your body in fighting viruses that cause the flu, herpes, and AIDS.
  12. Balance your PH and reduce risk of cancer.
  13. Treat kidney and urethral stones.
  14. Boost poor circulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment