Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Is it okay not to always look for the bargain?

Manolo Blahnik $935 shoe (31 W 54th St - New York)Image by scalleja via Flickr
Since moving here from Miami, Fl, I have really tried to learn about bargain shopping. I have made my first trips to Marshall's, where I felt I was lost in sea of overwhelming stuff. I was never quite sure where to turn or if the discount was real. I mean, I would pick up and item that had a good retail name but because the price was so cheap, I became weary and thought there must be something wrong with it. So I put it back on the shelf. At checkout my cart had a pillow and a work out shirt.
 I have also become much better at using coupons for the grocery store and try to wait for clothes to go on sale before I buy them. That wait can feel like eternity and I will admit I end up caving. Usually, I walk by the store the following day and there is the shirt, 50% off!
 However, I walked into my closet yesterday to grab some shoes for dinner and I stopped to think about what I had and I what I wanted to wear.  I have some jeans that I probably bought for $300, a couple of pairs of Manolo Blahnik shoes, and other nice quality items. Now, I am not trying to brag at all, I also have clothes from discount stores. But my point is, that my Manolo Blahnik's and I have spent 5 wonderful years together. My jeans probably 3 years.  Those jeans have helped cover up my wobbly bits and if could talk would have some fantastic stories to tell!
 However, something I have bought at target lasted only one wear and has not much to say. My question is, "Is it okay to indulge once and a while on a couple items?"  I think so. Quality lasts and I have not needed to buy more shoes, so am I actually saving money. Have my splurges here and there actually saved me money? 
I think if you have high quality staples in your closet you will always be able to put an outfit together. You can mix and match and feel great! The lines on high quality jeans somehow make my hips small. And items that will just be in for one season, I do not think you should spend a lot of money on. That to me is a waste.  Bargain shopping has taught me a lot of things and helped me to double think my purchases, but splurging on some high quality items can also be a bargain in the long run.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment