Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Nothing Tastes as Good as Skinny Feels"

A girlfriend of mine had this posted as here Facebook status.  This is a direct quote from Kate Moss.  My honest first reaction was, wow that actually makes sense.  Nothing feels as good as stepping into a pair of your skinny jeans and closing the zipper, while absorbing the wonderful feeling of them fitting well with utter and the utmost comfort. 

This made me start to think more about what skinny is?  So I went to the dictionary and the definition shocked me;

          Very lean or thin; emaciated.

All I could envision was my daughter at 13, skin and bones! How awful!  But so much of our society is geared towards being skinny.  For example, there are skinny jeans, the skinny girls margarita, the skinny bitch, the skinny girl's diet, and even many websites dedicated to being skinny.

But wait!  Is this really what is important, fitting into those size 2 jeans.  Pretty much starving yourself to do so.  Is this the healthy body image we want to give our daughter's?  As I stared into my computer I started asking myself all these questions.  Our society seems to go to extremes.  Either you are obese or you are skinny.  There is no in between.  The reason being,  is that the media does not sell papers about the "in between".  Young girls and teens buy magazines because they want to look like the models inside.  They memorize the pages so they can recreate the same look.  As a society is there a way to get our girls away from that?

This image of being perfectly skinny will always surround us and our children.   As parents I think it is important to teach them how to be healthy, with proper nutrition and exercise.  Also we need to give our children confidence in who they are and who they will become.  Just take a look around today and notice how obsessed our society is with being "skinny".

2 comments:

  1. It's tough to be a girl, isn't it? I've struggled with the whole skinny or fat - or whatever - thing my whole life. Now I have two young girls and I've made it one of my goals as a parent to make sure they don't struggle the way I have. SO much easier said than done, though. You are a great role model for your daughter - being healthy, exercising and being a strong, driven woman. In the end I think (hope!) that our influence on them will be stronger than that of society. PS I blog about my journey to be healthy again at http://www.findingamyagain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you!

    Following your lovely blog and inviting you to add this at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge - a mommy blogger directory and more, where you can also meet more mom bloggers like you and get connected with them by visiting your profile after registration. You can Shout there too:)

    You can also add there your giveaways and business links; get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings.

    Following us back is deeply appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

    http://olahmomma.com -- blogging and connecting blogging moms.
    {all moms welcome}

    P.S. Don't forget to join our Personalized Photobook giveaway from Picaboo (up to $39.99 value). To join, please visit http://olahmomma.com/personalized-photo-book-giveaway-picaboo

    ReplyDelete