Monday, August 2, 2010

Easy and Delicious Homemade Protein Bars!

After my mothers visit last week I was in need of some detox!  I always like to stay very aware of how my pants fit.  Personally, that seems to be a good gage for me and staying at a healthy weight. When they start to feel a little snug, I know it is time to clean up the diet.  In a couple days I am back feeling sexy and good in my pants! 
The main way that I clean up my diet is by only eating the foods I make. So about a year and a half ago I started making homemade protein bars. I would alter recipes I found in cookbooks or magazines to tastes that I enjoyed.  Sunday, I made a batch of protein bars from a new recipe I had been playing with. I think I finally got it! These protein bars are delightful and I even got my husbands approval! He is the one in the back round, sitting on the couch, while watching golf, and laughing as he hears a pot drop or me screaming. Needless to say I am not very poetic in the kitchen, but I get the job done.
So here is the recipe and I hope you all enjoy it. They are very easy to make and make sure to read all the way to end for some alternatives to make them custom to your taste!

Enjoy!

Protein-Packed Bars

  • 3/4 cup soy flour
  • 1/4 whole-grain flour
  • 1 cup wheat bran(you can use oat bran if that is all you have)
  • 1 cup vanilla protein powder (try to find egg white protein powder)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup ground  flaxseed  (optional)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I use Better'n Peanut Butter, low fat & cals)
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (optional)
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbls vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vanilla 0% fat greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a small baking dish with parchment paper
2. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together
3. In a small bowl mix the peanut butter, egg whites, applesauce, vanilla, and yogurt together
4. Add the wet ingredents to the large bowl. Mix well. If mixture is to dry add another egg white well beaten.
5. Spread mixture in baking panuntil even. Bake until golden brown

Alternatives:
If you would like a little variety, feel free to add a handful of dark chocolate chips or dried fruit in the mixture. Make sure you wait until the end to add them in. Do not mix them in, instead gently fold them into the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment