Friday, August 6, 2010

Nantucket: Time for a End of the Summer Getaway!

Maybe I say this every summer, but where did the summer go?  I cannot believe that it is August already and the kids will be back in school before you know it.  If any of you are feeling the way I am, then one more summer getaway is a must!!  So why not go away for Labor Day Weekend.  I promise it is not too late.  The kids will be back in school shortly after as well.  For some reason I woke up today in the mood to take a trip to Nantucket.  The best part about this island is that they do not have a bridge or a tunnel.  It is either by ferry or by plane.  But the trip to get there is worth every minute.

When I was growing up my mother and I use to spend a month in Nantucket every summer.  Sometimes we would rent a house but other times we would stay at a hotel.  I have such fond memories of walking into town to get ice cream or playing in the ocean for hours.  Nantucket always had a special smell I will never forget.  The fresh air, mixed with the salty water, and sweetness from flowers.  Maybe now that I have a daughter of my own I want to give her the experience that I had.

The hotels I recommend for your trip are The Veranda House and The White Elephant.  Both are by the harbor and walking distance to main street.  The great thing about this island is that it is not over populated and you can walk or bike to so many activities and sites.  I recommend going to Young's Bicycle Shop and renting bicycles for your stay.  It is a great way to get to the beaches and tour the island.  Nantucket is full of wonderful boutiques, antique shops, fantastic restaurants, and lovely art galleries.  Also, during the summer there are outdoor concerts and fairs for the kids.

So if you are itching like I am to get away then I suggest finishing your summer off with a bang!! Visit Nantucket and I promise you will never look back.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment